Saturday, July 5, 2008

Lotus project

Okay, so I began working on my first acrylic painting project. This is the first piece I'm painting. The last time I painted was in elementary. It was a water color painting of jelly fish in the ocean. This piece can still be found displayed in my home. hehehehe

Below is my brainstorming of a pink lotus in bloom. I used my pastels for this one. I wanted the lotus to stand out from it's surrounding (the murky water), but still make the surrounding something that will stand out on its own as well.



In Buddhism the lotus flower is a reflection of our journey in this world. The mud represents materialism and our attachments and we grow through the water (experience) and bloom above the murky water.

Below I started working with the acrylic paints. This was just a trial to get a feel of the different textures I wanted to use. I'm going to go for the right side with the spotty murky water. I liked the texture I was getting and it was tedious and time consuming, which is perfect for what the murky water represents in our journey. Although the draft is incomplete I felt that this direction is best suited for this project.

Once the final piece is complete I'll be sure to post it.
___________________________________________________________________
Currently reading: French Women Don't Get Fat by Mireille Guiliano
It's a really fun read - it is not a diet book "the ultimate non-diet book". I think it's good for those who already understand the pleasure of life and for those who are looking for better alternatives. I finished reading it and thought, "at last, the real book for women. I love being a girl!!!" and if only all women could embrace life this way without feeling guilty.

tout est question d'equilibre!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

if you get a tattoo, maybe you should get a lotus. Your painting look so nice like star in sky ;)

And about your book.... me likey to borrow please!!