Sunday, May 6, 2012

The Sixties


So a friend and I headed to the Brooklyn Flea this weekend to enjoy the Saturday in Brooklyn and to see if we can find ourselves some cool treasures. It was the very first time for me and I remember my friend has bought some really cool stuff in the past so I immediately assumed I would get some really cool stuff too. I went with the hopes to get some cool tools for dirt cheap.

There were a lot of cool artsy stuff and lots of cool vintage things to rummage through.  I was tempted to buy some antique glass alcohol lamps (cause I need something similar for wax carving), but opted out of it. That same vendor had a cool hammer that I wanted, but it was NOT for sale.  So be careful and make sure the stuff you are scoping out are actually for sale and not just decoration!

My friend found a vintage Vogue Magazine issue from August 1967 with Twiggy on the cover! It was the best find for the day.  Flipped through history with Twiggy, Jackie O, Babe Paley, etc.  It was fabulous and definitely made the trip worth it!  I currently work for a luxury jewelry salon in which our clientele had included women like Babe Paley, Marlene Dietrich, etc.  I love the style and class of the women of the sixties!

I  also saw some stamping tools with the complete alphabets (I actually do need this for a project I'm working on). I had my eyes on the vintage military stamping set that had a base for stamping on your fork?!?? funny.  But I didn't want to spend $50 for it. Instead, I left with 2 vintage costume jewelry: Trifari earclips circa 1960's and a multi-chain necklace.

I am currently working on researching different stamps and makers marks specifically from Paris circa 1900's for work so I've been on a high of researching stamps and signatures on vintage jewelry.  The Trifari pair of earclips are super cute! To my discovery I learned just from researching the stamp that they are from the 1960's because before 1955's jewelers were not allowed to copyright their work.  After then the laws have changed and Trifari stamped their signature with copyright symbol at the end. Around the 1970's - 1980's the Trifari signature had changed to not include the crown above the "T".  The crown-less Trifari signature does not make the piece "vintage".  My earclips have a crown above the "T" and a copyright at the end....ERGO....Trifari Earclips circa 1960's, my super cool vintage find.  Bonus: Trifari was considered one of the more higher-end costume jewelry collection most notably because of the designs (Alfred Philippe was part of the Trifari team and all his knowledge came from having worked with Van Cleef & Arpel) and manufacturing (i.e. Triple Gold Plating)



Cheers to The Sixties!!

1 comment:

jackie said...

BEAUTIFUL!!! Glad they're truly vintage ;) I wish I could've went w/ you! But I wouldn't have bought anything cuz I have no monies hahaha! Can't wait til I see you sport them :)