Thursday, July 22, 2010

take a glorious bite of the whole world



Growing old used to be a scary thought for me, but now I've come to embrace it.  My age has been brought up several times in conversations with friends this past week and if the intention was to make me feel old, I didn't quite catch that message. What has changed with age is my love for traveling. Haven't traveled to many places yet, but I'm getting there. It's hard to describe the specifics of what it is exactly that I love about traveling; however, if I had to the state the obvious it would be: 1) the food 2) the art 3) the architecture 4) the language 5) and the location (duh!). 

The past few years I've gone on many travels for business purposes and personal leisure trips.  If you want to travel outside of Hawaii you are required to travel across the vast Pacific Ocean and there's no way out of it because, well - we're on an island! My latest trip has opened my eyes to really experiencing the joys of traveling.  Of course, there is no escaping that if you are traveling to Paris.  Maybe it was a combination of the situation I escaped, the situation I was in presently, and the situation that I envision being in the future that culminated into what I was experiencing right there in that city.  Drinking cafe la creme after a meal, sitting at the park behind the Eiffel tower, riding the bus to Montrésor, milking a cow at the local dairy farm, whatever the situation may have been - I was completely immersed in it.  Unlike the travels I've done before to Tahiti, Costa Rica, the Phillippines, etc. this Parisian experience was unlike any other.  Probably because of the whole idea of accepting and being a completely whole person exactly where I was.  

So to the rest of the world out there that I have yet to experience - I will see you in a few and I look forward to meeting you  ;)

No comments: